Speakers may provide additional resources after their presentation for LIFE members to explore and learn more information about the topic. The resources from this semester’s presentations will be listed here.
Fall 2020 Resources
September 15th: Steamboating on the St. John’s and Ocklawaha Rivers- James “Zach” Zacharias
- Check out the Museum of Arts and Sciences: https://www.moas.org/
- President Todd Bower recommends books by Dr. Jerrell Shofner, previous UCF history professor, for more on Florida History!
September 22nd: Opioid Epidemic – A Holistic Approach to Recovery- Sheriff Dennis Lemma
- Disposal of Drugs- Click Here
- ProjectOpioid- https://www.projectopioid.org/
- Dose of Reality Florida- https://doseofrealityfl.com/
- Seminole County Opioid Response Efforts-https://www.seminolesheriff.org/page.aspx?id=15
September 29th: Loneliness 2.0: Latest Research and Future Directions- Fernando Montalvo
- Dedicated companions for loneliness: https://www.4companionship.com/
- Robotic pets for seniors: https://joyforall.com/
- Social robots for seniors: https://elliq.com/
- Some information on loneliness: https://www.cigna.com/about-us/newsroom/studies-and-reports/combatting-loneliness/
September 29th: WMFE and the Value of Public Service Media- Erika Pulley-Hayes
- WMFE’s e-newsletter goes out every week day. Subscribe: https://www.wmfe.org/enewsletter/
- Listen to the station on the radio (90.7-FM), online (wmfe.org), WMFE mobile app (in app store) or on smart speaker (Say play NPR).
- WMFE’s budget is made up of only about 8% federal funding. The majority comes from listener contributions. You can become a member and support our service at wmfe.org.
- Information regarding how to encourage support for public media can be found at: https://protectmypublicmedia.org/
October 6th: The Young and the Restless: Tracking the Sea Turtle “Lost Years”- Dr. Kate Mansfield
- Twitter/Instagram: @UCFTurtleLab
- Website: https://sciences.ucf.edu/biology/marineturtleresearchgroup/
October 6th: Fires and Fortifications: Recent Archaeological Findings from Kerkenes, Turkey- Dr. Amanda T. Groff
- The Kerkenes Project Webpage: https://sciences.ucf.edu/anthropology/kerkenes
- We also have pdfs of the recent bi-annual Kerkenes News issues at:
October 13th: This Missing Key to Health and Longevity: Strength Training is Medicine- Dr. Matt Stock
- From podcasts to videos to research articles, Dr. Stock provided a large number of resources for LIFE members!
- Resistance Training for Older Adults
October 13th: Presidents in Florida: How the Presidents Have Shaped Florida and How Florida Has Influenced the Presidents- Dr. James Clark
- For more information about Dr. Clark and his books visit his website at drjimclark.com
October 20th: Central Florida Community Arts (CFCA)- Joshua Vickery
- Central Florida Community Arts Website: https://cfcarts.com/
October 20th: Advanced Care Planning-Dr. Susanny Beltran
- Click here for a list of advanced care planning resources.
October 27th: Trendy Diets- Valerie Schulz
- Trendy Diets Chart Handout
- In her presentation she mentioned the “D-minder” App where a person enters profile (including how much supplement), then engages app when goes out into sun. It ESTIMATES your D level. You calibrate it by entering blood test results (when available).
November 3rd: The Contemporary Composer- Dr. Alex Burtzos
November 10th: Alexander Hamilton and the Art of Political Combat- Dr. David Head
- My website: www.davidheadhistory.com
- My book’s Amazon page: https://www.amazon.com/Crisis-Peace-Washington-Conspiracy-Revolution/dp/1643130811
- Indiebound, for those who like that option: https://www.indiebound.org/book/9781643130811